Sunday 27 February 2011

Selected Work: Glen Erler



‘Family Tree’

‘Family Tree’ is a project about the loss and rebirth of my family. I moved from Southern California to England 15 years ago and whilst visiting family members back home, I started photographing the people and places that were important memories in the shaping of who I am today. While I’ve been living in England, many of my relatives on both my fathers and mothers sides have passed away and this has made me realize the impact death has on the lives of those remaining. These images explore the current status of some of my remaining family members in their daily lives and are moments spent together during family gatherings. I also concentrated on returning to places where either significant events in my life happened or happened to those around me and have remained with me since childhood. They are not always memories of great importance but in fact played a role in the life I once knew.



This project also explores the addition of a new generation into our family. My nieces are now wives and mothers and their children will experience a very similar life to what I experienced. I tried to find beauty in the everyday life I took for granted while retracing footsteps of places where my memories lay and a new generation of actions will take place.



Glen Erler has accrued a rich body of work documenting the poignant beauty of adolescence and the forthcoming project titled 'Family Tree' to be published by Photoworks. With over 20 years experience as an established photographer, artist, lecturer & tutor in Europe & the USA, his work has spanned public and private commissions, portraiture, advertising & editorial for some of the world’s most respected mastheads. Glen resides in London, England.



All images ©Glen Erler

http://www.glenerler.com