Monday 1 April 2013

Up & Coming: Verónica Sanchís Bencomo


In Christmas 2011 I received a Fuji instant camera as a present from my partner, with three packs of film, each containing 10 frames. The camera and the photographs created, have many limitations. However I fell in love with their imperfection. I became fascinated with the idea of making actual work with a photographic form that once was so popular, but now is almost extinct, the instant photograph. I am celebrating the instant photography in its more traditional form. I have always had an interest in documenting spaces, and so I began taking instant photographs once a week, on Sundays, documenting my life and locations where I spent time with my friends and partner. Thirty Sundays is the realization of the places where I’ve been to during this time.
  
          
          
          
           

Veronica Sanchis Bencomo (1986) is a Venezuelan-Spanish photographer based in London. She recently completed a BA in Photojournalism at Swansea Metropolitan University, Wales. During 2010 Veronica was nominated ‘photographer of the year’ by the Guardian Media Awards, and the Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales Photographic Portrait Commission 2010. Her images have appeared at the Evening Post (South Wales), YLE News website and Helsinki Sanomat (Finland) monthly issue magazine. She currently works in a demanding photographic studio in Camden Town, London. Alongside, she continues to work on her personal projects.